If my research involves the indigenous communities of Sarawak, do I need consent from the indigenous communities? What do I need to do?

If the research involves indigenous communities, Prior Informed Consent is needed from the communities.

You would need to apply by a letter in writing in the Malay language to the Chairman of the Development and Security Committee (Jawatankuasa Kemajuan dan Keselamatan Kampung - JKKK) and the Headman (if different persons).

Provide the following information to the indigenous communities for deliberation.

  • the parties involved;
  • the resources involved;
  • the quantity allowed to be taken;
  • the duration of the consent;
  • terms and conditions imposed; and
  • the responsibilities of each party.

Upon approval from the indigenous communities, a copy of the PIC document with the minutes must be furnished to SBC. For more information, please refer to Part V of the Sarawak Biodiversity Regulations, 2016.


For more information, please contact us via the following details:

KM20, Jalan Borneo Heights, Semengoh, 93250 Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia.

Further Info

Online Services

Terms of Use

Useful Links