research permit

  • Do I Need a R&D Permit?


    Are you thinking or planning to conduct research project in Sarawak? And you are not sure if you need a R&D permit. This guide is intended to help you to answer this question according to the Sarawak Biodiversity Regulations, 2016.

    Under the Sarawak Biodiversity Centre Ordinance 1997, the Sarawak Biodiversity Council is given the responsibility to regulate research on biological resources in Sarawak and provisions on the requirement for Prior Informed Consent (PIC) as defined by the Ordinance.

    Answering the following questions may help you find out whether you need a R&D permit.

    1. What type or kind of research do you intend to do?
      Research and development as declared in the Ordinance refers to any form of study, analysis, evaluation, isolation, testing, experiment, examination or screening of biological resources to determine their potential medicinal, pharmaceutical, therapeutic, nutritional or agriculture properties or qualities or their functional ingredient for any purpose including potential commercial development.

    2. Does your research involve biological resources from Sarawak?
      Biological resources includes genetic resources, organisms or microorganisms or parts thereof, population and any other biotic components of an ecosystem with actual or potential use or value for humanity and derivatives thereform, and information in relation thereto.

    If your research project falls under the terms or definition as mentioned above. Then, yes, you will need to apply for a R&D permit from Sarawak Biodiversity Centre.
    If still in doubt, you may send in your project proposal and we will let you know if your project requires a permit. You may download the Sarawak Biodiversity Regulations 2016.

  • How long is the processing of the application?

    It will take 33 to 42 working days for R&D Permit application from the receipt of fully completed application form until the date of approval. The duration does not take into account obtaining the actual Research Permit

  • If I am working or collaborating with a local agency, do I still need a R&D Permit from SBC?

    Assuming that your research project requires an R&D Permit, the R&D permit can be applied by the local agency (which covers all the researchers involved). The project leader is required to apply for the R&D Permit and list out all the researchers who will be involved in the research in the Research Application Form.

  • If I have a local research collaborator, do I still need to apply for a R&D Permit?

    If your research requires an R&D Permit (as defined here), then "Yes" you do need an R&D Permit. The project leader is required to apply for the R&D Permit and list out all the researchers who will be involved in the research in the Research Application Form.

  • Other relevant permit(s)?

    Permits under SBC:

    • Permit for R&D on Biological Resources in Sarawak
    • Export Permit for R&D on Biological Resources in Sarawak
    • Permit for Propagation of Protected Resources
    • Sales Permit for Protected Resources.

    Permits under the Sarawak Forestry Corporation:

    • Licence to Import/ Export any Wild Life
    • Licence to Collect / Cultivate / Cut / Remove / Burn / Sell or Possess any Protected Resources
    • Licence to Hunt / Kill / Captured / Sell / Possess any Protected Animal
    • First Schedule, The National Park and Nature Reserves Regulation, 1999 – Form of Permit (To enter all National Parks and Nature Reserves or to exercise a subsisting right or privilege, or conduct
    • a special activity or conduct a research activity or conduct an expedition or conduct a filming work)

    During the evaluation of your research proposal, you will be advised on what other relevant permits are required. Thus, a comprehensive research proposal is crucial.

    You may apply for the above permits at the Sarawak Forestry Corporation. Please refer here for more detail. Or you may contact Sarawak Forestry Corporation at the following contact details:

    Sarawak Forestry Corporation
    Lot 218, KCLD,
    Jalan Tapang, Kota Sentosa,
    93250 Kuching, Sarawak

    Toll-Free : 1800 882526
    Tel : (+6)082-610088
    Fax : (+6)082-610099
    Email : This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

  • What are the other necessary documents involved in applying for a Permit for R&D to allow me to conduct research in Sarawak?

    Apart from the comprehensive research proposal, valid travel documents (e.g. passport) are very important. Your passport should be valid at least for one year to avoid any problems in applying for the Professional Pass from Immigration Department (Sarawak) and in seeking security clearance from the Police.

    Non-Sarawakian and foreigner will need to apply for Professional Pass from Immigration Department (Sarawak) on their own. Security clearance will be processed by Economic Planning Unit Sarawak.


For more information, please contact us via the following details:

KM20, Jalan Borneo Heights, Semengoh, 93250 Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia.

Further Info

Online Services

Terms of Use

Useful Links